View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
klmmc13
formatting student
klmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: several models of Kindle; Several Android tablets & 3 Android phones.
Question Can you OCR the images inside of .pdf files?

Hello All--

Can you OCR the images inside of .pdf files? Do you have to extract the images somehow to .tiff images, and then put them to an OCR software? HOW??

I'd like to be able to (hopefully with no-cost/low-cost software) locate the scanned copy of books I own (or Public Domain) and thru whatever processes, end up with a text / rtf/ whatever... file of the words on that page/book.

Is there a tutorial, or section of the Wiki that I've overlooked/not found ??

I know I sound like a babbling idiot......

I've downloaded one-too-many public domain epubs from both Amazon and B&N, as well as Google & Internet Archive, that needed to be worked on. I've typed out by hand several books, especially cookbooks, and it's a tedious and long term project. There's got to be a better way!!!

(Moderators- please move this thread to whatever section it belongs in, If I'm in the wrong place.)

TIA
Kathy
MamaDragon
klmmc13 is offline   Reply With Quote