Thread: MobileRead Discussion/Suggestion Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #148
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
As someone else suggested, it might be a good idea to define what we mean by "award winner". There are countless awards out there, and not all are created equal. If we allow them all, there's probably very few books that haven't won some kind of award, even if it's just a gold star from the author's Aunt Hilda. Perhaps we should draw up a list of awards that would be acceptable for consideration that includes such names as the Pulitzer Prizes and the National Book Awards. Should Hugo Award winners be accepted? Should Bram Stoker Award Winners be? Perhaps we should draw up a list of the people who bestow the awards and then vote on which of those would be acceptable for inclusion on our Official MobileRead Awards Vote Qualification list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
My non-fiction reading doesn't go into the history or biography much. So I'm not big on another non-fiction or biography month, but if others like it then so be it.

My choice would be prize winner. I'd also put it out for these prizes: Nobel (usually for overall life's work, but sometimes for individual works); Booker; Pulitzer; PEN/Faulkner; O'Henry; National Book Critics Circle Award (I like this because it covers a lot including non-fiction and biographies).

To be more international, we could add the Kafka award as well?

I'd be open to genre awards as well if we could narrow each genre down to an award (difficult at best).
Just my point about opening it up to any sort of award, even well known ones. Including say the Hugo Award is just adding an additional Science Fiction month, and for my reading tastes the one we have is already one more than I would prefer.

I would like to have an additional non-fiction month, but the trouble is so much of what I prefer in non-fiction would be books that would take any but superficial discussion into the area of the P&R forum. So I think that just naturally tends to make the non-fiction category more of a biography/history month.