View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 06:29 AM   #21
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I do not remember either. As far back as I can remember I have always read.
Apache
This.

I know for a fact that I could read by the time I started kindergarten (at age three), because it's something I've kept hearing about my whole life. I know I'd read and re-read Alexandre Dumas' entire Ten Years Later series (released here as three ~900-page volumes, in a translation that's still wonderfully readable and not at all old-fashioned) several times by my sixth birthday, and kindergarten teachers often asked me to read to other kids when they were busy with something else.

I don't have conscious memories of pre-kindergarten days, but I know my grandma taught me the letters when I was around 1.5, and presumably I learned to read properly at some point between two and three.

If I had to pick a book that made a lasting childhood impression and turned me into a lifelong reader, Dumas' musketeer books are probably it. Although I was also very fond of The Hobbit in my pre-school days.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote