View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #43
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
In my experience the main cause isn't laziness or lack of pride, it's more that most people in some hard to define way just don't have the right mind set. There's something about the way a good programmer's mind works that is necessary, and most people (including those who have studied programming at degree level and even, sadly, a significant number who have done it professionally) just don't have that way of thinking.

/JB
I can relate to that. An aptitude for problem solving goes a long way.

I think by lazyness/pride I was thinking along the lines of, coders who do their day job but will often be found reading around the subject, experimenting in their own time, working on side projects. Looking for ways to improve their craft and deliver better code.

Whilst I have met programmers who do just turn up to the job, do their stuff and go home never to touch a line of code until the next day of work, it's rare to find a really good coder who hasn't at least at one point early in their career, spent time on side projects.

Last edited by JoeD; 11-20-2012 at 11:14 AM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote