View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Epub - best practice for base font size?

I produce epubs with a custom CSS file, which I am generally happy with. I use relative font sizes for everything. I specify most things in a body definition, and override them for a host of different h, p, and span classes.

However, I tend to specify a bit smaller body text font (which is the base for all other sizes), between 0.8 and 0.9em. This is because some e-ink devices, like older Sony Readers and various no-brand readers, have a limited choice of font size adjustments, especially in the lower end of the scale. The prs-650 at the largest size will display around 20 words per page, while the gaps between the smallest sizes are fairly large.

I feel that a somewhat smaller base size gives the reader a better chance of finding a comfortable size. In software readers I have never had an issue with adjusting to a perfect font size. We embed Deja Vu serif in most books if that's relevant, this is because a lot of our books contain international glyphs, we're not living in ASCII-land, so default fonts don't suffice

What do the gurus think? Is it bad to specify other base sizes than 1em, or is it acceptable to use it as a workaround for limitations in some devices?

Last edited by Man Eating Duck; 09-27-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote