View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've taken a quick look at your source and compared it to the original to see what you've changed, and when you've left.

For the few Mobipocket ebooks I've created, I tend to work from HTML too.

I'd advise simplifying the HTML even more - getting rid of the page numbers, for example, as Mobipocket doesn't seem to obey the invisible attribute.

More specifically, in the CSS I'd eliminate any body text font size specification, and the justification of the body text, and any general margins on the body text. Those choices out to be left up to the reader through the software.

For identifying links in the document, Mobipocket prefers the use of id rather than name.

I always use page-break-before because I specify it for certain headings (e.g. chapter headings), which seems to make more sense than adding it to the last paragraph of a chapter.

On a stylistic note, I prefer to specify no space between paragraphs (by setting margin-top and margin-bottom to 0em), but to have a text indent on the first line of each paragraph, except the first paragraph of each chapter. But that it a personal preference.

I do like the idea of coming up with a 'generic' HTML format that works with the software to create multiple formats. I've avoided creating LRF or other files, because I can't test how they'll look.

For Mobipocket, you need an extra item in the opf file in the metadata part of the manifest:

<x-metadata><EmbeddedCover>images\illus-0001-1.jpg</EmbeddedCover></x-metadata>

and also a guide item to the table of contents is a good idea, just before the end of the package

<guide><reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="Little%20Stories%20for%20Little%20Children.h tm%23contents"></reference></guide>

Anyway, I attach a zip of my html,opf & images (for which I corrected the white point), along with my prc.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I want to improve the way I make .imp ebooks from (rich) .html

[...]

Now to the problems:
  • what appears centered in a .imp ebook is right-aligned sometimes when using Mobipocket Reader,
  • the <pre> tag is not well supported in Mobipocket ebooks,
  • fonts sizes seem larger in Sony ebooks (though I think the user can control this; just the software viewer doesn't)
  • <hr>/paragraph breaks/<h1> are exaggerated, etc...
  • Conversely, when I want to signify a page-break, my .imp reader doesn't understand <p style="page-break-after: always"> (which is theorectically better) and only recognizes <p style="page-break-before: always">.
  • Yuk!
What I would like to find out is what works best for ALL ebook formats. A basic "hit list" of html constructs to use and/or avoid.

I would appreciate any comments from those that prepare .prc/.mobi ebooks from .html on how they would change my source .html files to better make a Mobipocket ebook. The same goes for those who make Sony ebooks from .html.

In the end, I hope we can standardize the creation of ebooks from .html so that the best possible ebooks can be created from a single (multi-purpose) source.

Please upload any better Mobipocket or Sony (or eBookwise) ebook you can make using my source below (please upload source/diffs as well).

Any thoughts in this regard?
Attached Files
File Type: zip Little_Mobipocket.zip (653.7 KB, 468 views)
File Type: prc Little Stories for Little Children.prc (664.4 KB, 420 views)

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-20-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: yes, id not is
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote