View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #319
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
This is still true and has always been true since the Nook launched in Nov 2009. I try every two or three months. The Nook and most ebooks are not now and never have been sold directly to Canadian residents by Barnes and Noble. It also has nothing to do with Investment Canada as one of the posters in the quoted thread states. I have been buying from Amazon.com for over a decade.

What has shifted recently (last month?) is quite a number Nook ebooks seem to be orderable. Unfortunately, without a Nook, you are limited to reading on a PC or other device thanks to the "special" DRM variant B&N uses. If it were standard Adobe DRM, I could buy ebooks from B&N and use them on a Kobo (or Sony if I had one). So, alas, a bit better but essentially still no go outside of the US.
I believe it does have something to do with why B&N doesn't support Canada. B&N is an American company. Amazon.ca is 100% Canadian. Therefore, Amazon.ca is in compliance with Investment Canada laws. Also, a few large publishers have separated the North American market into 2 regions. (3 if counting Mexico) I don't know if this has to do with Investment Canada either but it's possible. Or perhaps the publishers have sold Canadian rights separately. Most of the large publishers have operations or subsidiaries in Toronto.

Didn't you notice that Amazon US has 200,000 more ebooks available than Amazon.ca? Similarly for Kobo. There are books not available for US residents. I don't know how many.

So, I do agree it's probably better for Canadians not to choose a Nook unless they have US ties.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote