View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcalder View Post
I think my brother has Office 2003; guess I'd better borrow it and see if it resolves the issue. If it does, then I'll have to cave and buy the current release. Hmm, on second thought, I may not need to borrow his Office 2003... I think my laptop had a "free trial" offer for Office 2003 pre-installed that I never activated as I knew that I wouldn't waste the money on buying it when the trial was up.

I wish so many text-processing-related programs didn't rely on Word for basic functionality; good grief, programmers seem to treat it as if it's part of the OS. If they absolutely must "borrow" functionality from another program, why not use OpenOffice instead and stop feeding the growth of Microsoft's market share?
I would be startled if Word 97 was the problem, since you state it crashes on HTML and RTF files as well as Word docs.

I'd start by removing BD entirely, then doing a clean re-install, starting with the 4.0 distribution files and then applying the most recent update to bring it to 5.0

I run BD under XP SP2 here, without issues. In my case, Office 2000 is installed, but I don't believe it matters. XP Media Center apparently does have quirks, as I've seen complaints about it elsewhere.

When BD crashes, do you get any diagnostics in Event Viewer? If so, they may provide a clue to what is happening.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote