View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 03:03 PM   #66
thebrave
Enthusiast
thebrave doesn't litterthebrave doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, iPhone, Nokia N800
I followed that (I'm french) and the worsts point of that law are:

- Forcing ISPs to install black boxes between the user and the net to help pinpoint illegal activities.
- Private companies (copyright owners like Sony or Universal) are given the right to access those black boxes logs to find offenders.
- As "it would no be feasible to go to trial for those kind of cases", the offending user can't be explained what is the offending file. Those private companies (copyright owners like Sony or Universal) doesn't have to disclose that to anyone. (Including government) One implication is that there is no recouse possible. (As there is nothing to judge)
- As it may not be possible for citizen to know how to secure their computer, they will be given the option to install a self-updating commercial "security software" that will monitor computer usage to try to block delinquent acts.

My understanding of computer networking is that:
- Those "black boxes" can (will) intercept any non encypted flow.
- Any recent filesharing protocol use or can use an encrypted protocol. (It's not that complicated)
- All there left is mail, IM, and internet surf.

- A work group will define how search engines and portals will have to alter their indexes to "get legal sites up" and "dig illegal content down"

Fun fact of that sad story: Head of ministry of culture claimed that the governement uses OpenOffice as its content filtering proxy and security firewall. (twice)
thebrave is offline   Reply With Quote