View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 05:44 AM   #331
Alan
Connoisseur
Alan began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenien View Post
Either you're a fool, or you're a shill of the industry: whatever the spin is, in most European countries it still is legal to make a back-up copy of a CD or to rip it for personal use.
At least in Germany it is illegal to make a backup copy from copy-protected sources (which are almost all DVDs for example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviant View Post
Um no. The last time I bought something legally (a DVD film) and showed it to a friend I was laughed at for wasting money when I could have downloaded it. So no, I honestly doubt people are moving towards legal alternatives.
But when it comes to music the situation is different. In the U.S. iPod and iTunes have gigantic market shares. People are actually buying stuff from iTunes, millions of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
When I proposed a donation system were nothing illegal is done you said that you have to pay if you want to read a book as that was some natural law or something. I pointed out that thas is not true even today.
Books are nothing else than any other goods or services. So yes, you have to pay for it. There might be some people, who give away there labor and efforts for free or are only asking for some coins. Well, that's fine for them. But usually people work for money. And an author and his publisher work for a living, not for donations. That's the way it is. And if you want to call it that way, then yes, it's a natural law. You and I go to work to earn money. Sure, hopefully our work satisfies us in other ways to. That would be ideal. But first of all we work in order to make a living. So do you, so do I and so does an author.

Alan
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote