View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 05:45 AM   #12
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I loved rereading "Persuasion" after a great many years. I find Anne a very sympathetic heroine who definitely needs to be rescued from her stupid, self-important family.

And even though I knew exactly what was going to happen, I could savour the language and commentary about the various characters along the way. For example, I think at the end of Chapter 11 when Anne had been talking with Captain Benwick, a lovely comment about her realising that like most people who give advice, she was in need of heeding it herself. (Sorry, I'm writing this away from home and don't have the book with me to quote it exactly.)
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote