Thread: Aura HD Kobo Aura HD
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #280
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geormes View Post
I noted the GoodReader review had something about line spacing and justification not supported on side loads.

Is that the case with other Kobo devices?
I don't have an Aura but the other Kobo devices respect the settings in the epub's stylesheet. If the stylesheet specifies left justification, you will not be able to override it without removing that setting, the same for line spacing, margins, etc. If you remove those settings, you can set them using the sliders. Font sizing can cause some real oddities if the stylesheet specifies font size in absolute terms instead of the recommended relative terms. You can end up with a book where some font sizes can be varied and other are fixed.

Another issue is books that come with embedded fonts. While the display of embedded fonts has improved, you still have fonts that are extremely light when viewed on an eInk display.

A while back there was a discussion about margins where I ended up by editing an epub to generate two versions. The first had my favourite margin settings of 0 while the second used a fairly large fixed margin. The Kobo Glo would not reduce the margins below those set in the stylesheet but could increase them. So one ebook showed margins that went from 0 to 14mm from the edge of screen as the margin slider was moved while the second went from 13mm to 27mm margins (and yes, that made for a rather narrow column of text).

Sample paragraph style from one ebook my wife is reading:

p {
text-indent : 0.4in;
margin-left : 3%;
margin-right : 4%;
text-align : justify;
margin-top : 5pt;
margin-bottom : 5pt;
font-family : "Bookman Old Style";
font-size : 18px;
}

In this example, the text-indent and font-size are in absolute terms while the margins are percentages of the display. Not a recommended mixture. The top and bottom margins are set in points which are generally used with printed materials, not webpages or ebooks.

p {
text-indent : 4%;
line-height: 1.1;
margin-left : 0;
margin-right : 0;
margin-top : 0;
margin-bottom : 0.2em;
font-size : 1em;
}

Above is what I edited the style to look like. The text-indent is now a relative term, margins are set to 0 except for the bottom margin to give a bit of gap between paragraphs and the font size is relative. She can now use her Touch's sliders though for the most part she set them once and now just leaves them alone. The line-height setting gives a tighter line spacing than the Kobo's minimum slider setting which both of us prefer.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 04-21-2013 at 10:42 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote