View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #73
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Libraries should do better than cater to the lowest common denominator of book reading, shouldn't they? I'm no fan of the genre but this scheme pretty much shuts out litfic from ebook libraries.
I'm on the fence regarding this whole thing, but...

Let's avoid elevating one type of reading over another. I think it more accurate to state that libraries *should* cater to a variety of readers while focusing on the demand of their particular user demographic. Because if there isn't enough stuff that their users want to read, regardless of whether it's genre fic or litfic or women's studies or what have you, this whole conversation is moot. If people aren't using libraries, there won't be libraries.

And the funny thing with city / local budgets - if you have money designated for a line item, and you don't use it, you might not get it next year, and it isn't always allowed to move it to another line item. I'm not saying that the proposed scheme is the best way to spend money for all libraries, but if there is money in the budget for ebook acquisitions, and the books on that list are ones that will increase circulation numbers for the library, then it's worth considering.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote