View Single Post
Old 12-30-2021, 06:51 PM   #4
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Yeah, the default sickel timeout is something ridiculously low like 5 or 10 seconds. I wish it was more configurable. That file may have opened eventually if you waited long enough (like 5+ minutes).

I think part of the problem is that nickel loads all user fonts into RAM as soon as you open a book (which is why rebooting first before opening a RMSDK file sometimes works). And if your database is already larger than what RAM the device ships with, it just compounds the issue since now it has to continuously swap to a pagefile on a really slow SD card. I also had to cut down fonts to get things working once my database got to a certain size, but eventually, I just ended up using other reader programs to read things that weren't kepubs. kepubs work fine since nickel is loaded into RAM on boot; RMSDK is not and the free RAM usually gets eaten up by other things first over time.

But 1,400+ font files is a lot, lol.

Last edited by rtiangha; 12-30-2021 at 07:07 PM.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote