View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 12:15 AM   #9
deety
book geek
deety began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Im not sure what extreme measures your referring to.
I could be reading this wrong, and it sounds as if this only applies to PDFs, but the "digital access key" thing (mentioned in a different part of the Terms of Service than I quoted) is pretty ridiculous. The FAQ says something about needing to "log in" to your purchased file once a year from the computer you downloaded it on, and you can only view it on three different computers - the FAQ claims that the PDF won't unlock on a fourth.

I assume that you can contact customer service to reset that when necessary, but it would get really tedious to keep having to contact them to reauthorize more copies over the years. It seems like overkill to make customers jump through hoops for their purchased content - especially if the company can already track the source of illegal copies in ways that won't inconvenience honest buyers.

I wouldn't be buying PDFs, so I guess that wouldn't affect me directly. But it's hard to get into the idea of doing business with anyone who thinks that "you can only open one of our formats on three different computers" is a good idea. Is that a common thing among e-book stores?
deety is offline   Reply With Quote