View Single Post
Old 09-15-2014, 12:21 AM   #165
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Parse the sentence again.
Note the comma.

And Flint isn't the only one liking Schmitz.
Even if he hadn't written anything beyond WITCHES OF KARRES, he'd still be a must read for any student of the genre. But what he did with the Hub, *when* he did it, is remarkable.
Way ahead of his time.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_H._Schmitz

As for Chandler:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._Bertram_Chandler

I cut my teeth on the DAW editions of both.

Another author I really like from that general era is F.M. Busby. The RISSA KERGUELEN saga, the DEMU TRILOGY, ALL THESE EARTHS... Wouldn't surprise me to see BAEN pick up his books. He's their kind of author.
They were published by Ace when I was reading them in the early-to-mid 60s. And A. Bertram Chandler's stuff was more often than not packaged in "Ace Double" two-fers.

And I managed to catch a few of Chandler's short stories in their original appearances in If and Worlds of Tomorrow. One thing I really think is a shame is that the stories are reprinted without the illustrations that went along with them. I can't believe it would be that expensive to track down and buy the rights to B&W illustrations. And they should show up properly in any ereader.

Ah, well. Off to the Vent and Rant thread.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote