View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
missimpossible
Groupie
missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2, Clara 2e, Oasis 3
Kobo Aura HD or Kindle Paperwhite 2013?

I've been using my Kobo Touch for two and a half years now. I love it, but it's a bit unresponsive and I've had a few issues with it crashing. Plus, I've fallen in love with the idea of a front-light and am kind of hankering after a device that has one.

My dilemma is that I'm not sure which device to plump for! I discounted the Kobo Aura because I really want a recessed screen - I generally read without a case (though I do have one to protect the device while it's in my bag) and I don't like the "feel" of the device without the recessed screen. However, I can't decide how to proceed from there. I'm attracted by the stronger font customise-ability in the Kobo, and as far as I can see there are more varied options on setting page refresh rate? On the other hand, the vast majority of my books are purchase from Amazon and I've been disappointed by the support of side-loaded books in the Kobo, in particular with relation to footnote support. I've read the it's reasonably easy to add custom fonts to the Paperwhite if you have a little technical know-how - is this true?

I truly can't decide between the two devices so it would be nice to hear a little from supporters of both/either. I kind of don't want to purchase either if there's going to be a device refresh in the near future (that is, before Christmas this year) but if the device refresh is likely to mean more non-recessed screens, I'd much rather have a current device. Thoughts?
missimpossible is online now   Reply With Quote