Thread: UUID creation?
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #69
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeonis View Post
My Post #37

Allo? DiapDealer? please.
Trying to lure me back into a non-Sigil related topic, eh?

OK, for the questions I could easily pick out:
Quote:
As this navmap was playorder 1, the script also renumber the other navmaps starting with 1
Not really necessary, but OK.

?? What is the other alternative? Something a la KDP Guidelines 3.2.3 Cover Image Guideline #3 ? I am curious, please.
Just take it out of the NCX. Start with PlayOrder 2. Start with with 100, start with 37 and go up by fives. You can renumber them all consecutive if you like, but there's really little point as long as they're in ascending order.

Quote:
Optionnaly create a new NCX with only the chapters headings (reduced navmap without nested subchapters)
Why? Amazon encourages nested ToCs.

Last time I used the app Kindle for PC on one of my mobi, It didn't care about my sexy nested TOC and flattened everything. It was a big eBook with a lot of headings, the toc (in the left of the screen) was unusable.
So I decided to put an option box to check/uncheck in the GUI to modify the INI file.
Another reason is that I took note somewhere that ... "The Kindle does not navigate well with the 5-way controller on multiple-level navPoint entries".
Is it (still) true?
Nobody (and by nobody, I mean very few) reads with Kindle for PC. I don't worry about how it looks there (don't worry overly, anyway).

It's true, with older devices, that nested NCX navigation can be difficult/unwieldy with the 5-way. But also note that there's just not a lot of 5-way NCX navigation going on. I'm not saying there's not a lot of those devices still in use, I'm saying your HTML ToC is going see the vast majority of the use, rather than the NCX via the 5-way on those devices.

It's more than fair to want to flatten the NCX for the older devices, but just know you're doing so at the expense of making the experience for users of the newer devices clunky.

Quote:
Now, I noticed you use 2 different mobi and KF8 css files. It is ok but, is there a reason I should be aware of? Or is it just your way of organizing your job?
Personal preference only. I don't like wading through media queries and nested stuff in CSS trying to track down what does what for KF8, and what part's for MOBI-only and what part's for BOTH. Just don't like it. It's messy. Also, if I've been away from the book for a while, when I revisit it, I don't want to have to waste time getting back up to speed on all that MOBI/KF8/ALL CSS media-query mess. This way I know that I've got three very simple CSS files, each with a very specific purpose for a specific format.

I miss anything?

(Feel free to ask me future questions about prepping an ePub for conversion to a Kindlebook in the MOBI forum)
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote