View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #292
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
I don't know if this seems to be a useful feature (or implementable one), but could the vertical space between page breaks be made so that it would depend on the font size of the text after the break, compared to the font before the break (or, instead of font sizes - the height of those lines)? This would be very helpful when there is a page break between chapters, contents page etc. so that:

a) no unnecessary space would be added between normal text at page break (lines continue to be 'merged' so to speak in the output pdf)
b) some vertical space would be added when a new chapter starts, for example (otherwise, it looks pretty annoying)

Example for b)

Code:
lorem ipsum some text from chapter 1 ends here.
CHAPTER TWO. ANNOYING LACK OF SPACE ABOVE

And thus begins the new chapter with new text.
The default mode already does this. See the two attachments (I used the -c option to get a color conversion since the pages are color-coded to make the output easier to decipher). The spacing between contiguous text across pages needs a little work--it's not quite right. I'll have to look into that. But it does put a bigger space in front of "Chapter 2". Do you have an example where it's not working the way you expect?

Edit (9 Jan 2013): Okay, when I convert with "-mode fw", there is no gap put in front of "Chapter 2," so I see what you're talking about there. That is due to the setting of -vb -2 that is applied by -mode fw. That setting causes each page region to be treated as a "black box"--that is, I don't look inside of the page regions to try to determine font sizes, line spacing, etc., so I don't have any information on what spacing to put between regions. I'll think about ways to improve this.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf dec1.pdf (188.1 KB, 272 views)
File Type: pdf dec1_k2opt.pdf (479.0 KB, 266 views)

Last edited by willus; 01-09-2013 at 11:03 PM.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote