View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #1105
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I hear you. I haven't looked into it, so if it has already been done please think me not too large a fool for suggesting it, but a lot of the things we gripe about could probably be fixed with a more complete file definition or standard for epub or an extension of epub and a standard set of options that we could choose to allow the file to define or simply override in the reader and have stored in our personal copy of the file. People are always complaining about margins, fonts, line height, etc. The ability to override them and any other CSS should be part of every reader firmware, IMHO. If I configure my reader for a margin setting, I want that setting, not one defined by someone who may have not rendered the file for my device or preferences. I guess you load the book, have a look, and then determine if you want to apply your standard settings or go deeper into a menu to apply custom settings for just that book, and so on.

What I'd like to see is standard settings or HTML tags that cover things like page number display, location, title or chapter display at page tops, alternating or fixed(every page), paragraph indentation, justification, etc., and the ability to add your comments & markups (annotations) to the file so it becomes part of your epub and could exist cross platform on whatever device is reproducing the file. I realize DRM concerns may make the last difficult, but the ability to annotate and comment in a common format would be great for any number of books that could be distributed electronically even if the standard was defined and the data stored in a separate file with the books name and some other file extension, etc. Better yet, define as much as you can in the standard and then a way to add extensions to the format that could be defined within the file. Probably mostly good just for user defined display fields, but they could be manipulated like other metadata types of fields.

Last edited by TechniSol; 12-10-2012 at 11:21 PM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote