View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 09:47 AM   #5
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Forget it.

It's very difficult and time consuming, even if you already have the required equipment and skill in using it. If you don't have the equipment or the skill, it will be close to impossible.
Nonsense. $60 and a weekend will get the first one, if you have a decent digital camera. A few hours per book after that.

Don't let these illegitimi carborundum you.

Quote:
And a company that does this won't help you either. Their first question will be "Do you have the right to do this?". You don't. Someone else holds the rights and would have to approve it. They would be in violation of the law doing it without that approval, and they won't touch the job.
You are ASS-U-ME ing that the books have copyright notices that prevent them from being copied into digital form. That's absurd. Many books have copyright notices that allow you to convert them to another format for your personal use.

Quote:
And even if you got the approval, it would be far more expensive than it was worth. I can easily see a charge of thousands of dollars per book.
LMAO! I rip several books a day, it's easy.

Here's the hardware you need:

(1) digital camera, preferably SLR, in the 5 MP or better range for most books. Academic books can be large (8.5" x 11" pages) with small text. In that setting, more MP is better. I'm currently using a ($80) 6.2MP Samsung S630, point-and-shoot. It works for text-bsed hard covers, but it sucks for huge, college math books. I'm saving for a 10-12MP DLSR.

(2) tripod (mine was $18.88 at Wal-Mart.)

(3) book cradle - search this site and Google - I got all my ideas from a few searches. Mine cost $40 in parts. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ghlight=cradle

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Unfortunately, as stated, the typical academic book is quite difficult due to such things as images, figures, charts & equations, unless you can be satisfied with the PDF files that result from the scanning. These can be very large files, slow to read on the typical ebook reader as well as being too small to view adequately.
BS

The correct solution is to snap photos of the books, and use these photos (JPEGs.) Yes, a 500 page math book can take over a gig, but it's usable. I use a 2GB SD card in my PRS-505 to store a book, and flip through the images. As processing power increases, we'll be able to use them even more easily. As OCR software improves, we may (one day) be able to OCR the equations.

Andy

Last edited by recycledelectron; 01-11-2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: to respond to another illegitimi
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote