View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I don't think they had dedicated readers in mind at all. I think the idea is to have a multifunction device that is also great for reading at length: Tablets, netbooks and, I hope, smartphones. The three main reasons I don't like reading on my phone are eyestrain from the backlight, inability to read in sunlight, and battery life. If I wear down my Kindle battery, it's annoying but I'll deal with it. Bad things can happen if I'm out without my phone. Even if people don't read on their phone, they would like to have increased battery life and daylight readability. What I find exciting about their technology on the ebook front is it could get a lot more people reading ebooks that might not want a dedicated reading device.
The one issue I see is that the reflective mode that would be most useful for what you're talking about also has lower contrast and higher power requirements than current eInk technology.

I think their screens are an improvement over standard LCD, but fall short when compared to current eBook technology.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote