View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #51
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Gets pretty bad when you pay for ebooks and they look like they came out of the garbage. If you bought a paperback you'd take it straight back.

I notice with both Kobo and Amazon the free public domain titles are all very average in their format. I think feedbooks has the best finished product for public domain books. To me it looks like Kobo in particular automate pulling from Gutenberg, and post on the online store.

That said some of Baens books are average, but no DRM means quick convert.
I've just checked Feedbooks and downloaded 10 classics I want to read from their site. This is the way it should be done to entice people to buy recent books from your store.

1. Very good table of contents, divided in parts, where necessary:

Code:
Part 1
  Chapter 1
  Chapter 2
  Chapter 3
Part 2
  Chapter 4
  Chapter 5
  Chapter 6
2. Great chapter headings.
3. Drop Caps at the beginning of the chapter (!)
4. Correct alignment and justification.
5. Good covers.
6. Clean EPUB internal file structure (if you care about that)

These free books of theirs match the best eBooks I've bought. If their paid books are all just as good, I'm happy purchasing from them. They've got some stuff that I wanted which Kobo and sometimes even Amazon don't have. And if Amazon does have it, Feedbooks is somewhat cheaper, and they provide an EPUB, which I greatly prefer over AZW or Mobi.

Highly recommended store. Just the way I like it: Simple, not too expensive, and as far as I've been able to see, good quality. As far as I've been able to see in this short amount of time, I don't actually need to edit anything, apart of (maybe) setting the tags to my liking. I may actually replace the stuff that is left in my paper bookcase that I've not been able to find anywhere else up to now (not even as torrents or on usenet....).

If they don't DRM their books (don't know yet), then that would be icing on the cake.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote