View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #22
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I'm not socially networked either. Hell, I've got a pending friend request here on MR and I'm debating what to do with it. I don't even keep a consistent persona across various forums and other areas; I don't necessarily want my fanfic writing crossed with my online gaming and mixed in with my other hobbies. (If you're wondering, I'm some of the other Worldwalkers but not all of them; I am, however, the original as far as I know, unless you can date one to pre-1993)

I am frankly baffled by this modern urge to throw all the intimate details of one's life out there for all comers to paw over, and I'm boggled at the degree of conceit that is necessary to believe that anyone cares. But what really blows my mind is the idea that people will form social groups based on similar preferences in consumer goods. Seriously ... clothes? food? personal electronics? I'm not talking about support forums, or sharing of resources, or even discussion of content like MR ... it's the whole idea of "I like Pepsi, and you like Pepsi, so we should be friends." Is that what connections between people have come to? Nothing more profound than both buying things from the same company?
Too Right....This encapsulates the whole Idea for me as well....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote