Thread: Classic library ebooks?
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
I find this whole adobe thing very confusing. If you are saying it's simply a matter of borrowing the book on my computer (directly from the library with specific software to do so) and then transferring it to the Nook, I can live with that. But is this PDFs only, or ePubs only, or both? I'm not removing protection and running scripts and a bunch of other stuff just to get the book on the Nook, am I (ha, that sounded funny).

And ADE is available and free?
It is confusing. The Nook fully supports "sideloading" standard Adobe DRMed ePubs and PDFs. In other words, you copy these to the Nook using USB, rather than wireless. This includes Adobe lending library ebooks. At least, we assume so - it won't be certain until someone actually gets this to work on a Nook.

This is the way all current EInk readers get access to Adobe ebooks, because none has wireless. Three devices with wireless and ADE are coming (the Nook, the Sony Daily Edition and the iRex DR800SG) but none will be able to download wirelessly from a lending library - they will all be sideloading such ebooks. You download the ebooks from the library using desktop ADE (Windows or Mac, both free). If your EInk device has been registered to your AdobeID, then these same ebook files will work on the Reader and you just need to copy them over. Desktop ADE can copy them for you, or you do this yourself via the USB filesystem (which works like a USB memory stick).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote