Thread: PRS-T2 vs T1
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frescard View Post
With most retailers switching to the T2 sooner or later, I'm sure there will be good deals available for the T1 pretty soon.
So—is there any reason for a new buyer to wait for the T2, when you can get the T1 for significantly less?
Reasons to get a T1
  • More hack/tweak options, including rooting UPDATE: The T2 can now be rooted. Prior to this, I would have said rooting was the biggest advantage the T1 had over the T2. But this is no longer the case.
  • Audio
  • Discount prices???

T1 Cautions:
  • Italics/bold bug: The T1's stock firmware will not render italics/bold properly unless you use the "Original" font. If you select one of the other fonts in the menu list, italics/bold are inconsistent. The only way to get around this is with user hacks/tweaks/rooting.
  • Shiny bezel causes reflection/glare which is bothersome to some people.

Reasons to get a T2
  • Noticeably whiter/brighter display with sharper text. Not everyone agrees with this, but when I compared my T1 to three T2s, the T2s looked white, whereas my T1 looked gray. The text on the T2s was also sharper and darker. It seems screen quality may depend on the individual units being used for the comparison and the eye of the beholder. To my eyes, the improvement of the T2 over the T1 is significant.
  • Noticeably faster page-turns with less flashing; option to turn off refresh with every page turn (I didn't notice any ghosting, but others have).
  • Matte Black model has no glare/reflection from bezel.
  • Evernote functionality allows you to download notes and web clippings to the T2 and upload notes, annotations and highlights to your computer and smartphone.
  • Italics/bold display properly in all fonts (i.e., the T1 italic/bold bug is fixed).

T2 Cautions:
  • No audio
  • U.S. version only has 6 dictionaries: Oxford American, Oxford English, English-French, French-English, English-Spanish, Spanish-English. However, according to post #226 in this thread, the European version has the same 12 dictionaries as the T1: New Oxford American Dictionary, Oxford Dictionary of English, Oxford EN-ES & ES-EN, Oxford-Hachette EN-FR & FR-EN, Collins EN-DE & DE-EN, Collins EN-IT & IT-EN, Van Dale EN-NL & NL-EN
  • No rooting option (yet?) UPDATE: The T2 can now be rooted.

Last edited by pssquirrel; 10-10-2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: updated info
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote