View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #22
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Thanks, Ricky. It's my main side project at the moment. I tend to have a lot of creative energy that needs an outlet, and not much room for physical projects. This seems to be filling the emotional need nicely. I'm glad others are enjoying the results, as well.

I'd say it usually takes an hour or 2 per page, depending on whether I have the dialogue written already (a lot of it is), or especially whether I need to create a new model for something. The teahouse building on one page had to be adapted from a much larger structure (I did that within Cararra, then saved out as obj so I could use it in Daz Studio as well), and the pendant for Miyako (the monk who just showed up) and a pendant Jyunko will wear later needed to be modeled in Hexagon, which I just got and don't know how to use very well. That kind of thing tends to set me back a day or so. I hope to get to the point of being able to generate several pages a week, or even a page a day, though when the semester starts up again I probably won't be able to keep up that kind of production rate.

Perhaps I ought to mention that this is the first time I've ever tried to tell a story in graphic novel format... I've been reading manga for years, but usually when I want to tell a story I use text only. I've never been able to generate the images in my head in 2-D (and I think it would take rather too long to build everything in clay and photograph it). So this is all highly experimental and I welcome any suggestions anyone wants to make.
Hexagon is one of those programs that, when you get to the point where it clicks ... it's just the best. I wrote one or two tutorials for Hexagon ... I can't even recall now what site they are posted on ... but I was using it (and Rhino) for making clothing for the mice in the book I was working on.

Sadly, that was taking me between 60 to 120 hours per illustration. Partly because it wouldn't be until the umpteenth render (in color, at full size) that I would find the last of the little things that just drove me nuts.

I only recently noticed that my piece, "In the Hall of the Pirate King" still has one idiotic error in it. I know I need to go back, fix the thing and re-render, but that one took for freaking ever to render.

I really do think what you are doing is great. However, I don't know enough about manga to be able to make any helpful comments. I'm going to post ITHOTPK .... and see if you can "spot the goof."

RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote