Thread: Calibre Speedup
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #20
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbik View Post
The best way to speedup Calibre, ist an SSD for the Library.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I completely agree. Well, it does help for the library folder itself but if space is a premium, then you can use it just for metadata.db. Of course, RAM disk is so much faster.
FYI.

I upgraded startup drive to SSD from hard disk, and RAM to 16 GB from 8 GB, in an early 2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch notebook that has a 2.2 GHz quad core i7 processor. Did it myself.

Apple says this model only can be upgraded to 8 GB maximum RAM, but some research showed the real max is 16 GB. I haven't had any problems since installing the 16 GB RAM last week.

The SSD has 6 gigabit link speed, while the old hard disk has 3 gigabit. To preserve the life of the SSD, I turned on trim support and noatime, turned off local Time Machine snapshots, turned off sleep mode memory backup to persistent storage, and disabled sleep disk image.

Speedup results, without doing anything with temp folders and ramdisk:
  • OS X startup time: more than twice as fast on SSD, a significant difference.
  • calibre startup time: 13 seconds on SSD, 18 seconds on hard drive, 25 to 30% faster with calibre app, libraries, and config dir all on SSD instead of hard drive. That is with startup restriction off. (Starting up in restriction requiress extra time for the restriction search).
  • bulk conversion time: shaved 1 or 2 seconds off each conversion during bulk conversion operation, approx 5% faster on SSD. Not as much speedup as I expected.

Last edited by unboggling; 10-22-2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: variable leveling, test result corrections
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote