View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 03:10 AM   #12
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I'm reviewing this novel sometime this month on my site so it's good to get advance notice that the book is written in the key of awesome.
It really *is* awesome. I have read it and it just rocked.

It has a little bit of romance, it has gangsters, guns, fast cars, large sums of money, crocodiles, the newest technology (the main villain uses SMS messages, disposable mobile phones or Twitter to be in contact with his mafia underlings), it has very likeable villains and crooked officials. All of it is in good balance. The plot is complex and unpredictable - which for me is a must in a really good book of this type.
All the above still doesn't guarantee that you get an exceptional book. For me, the difference between good book and awesome book was all those details about life in Bangkok. The author managed to make this exotic setting an integral part of the book, so you do not get "infodumps", or needless descriptions, or stupid dialogs where one character explains to another something that would never be said in real life.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote