View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #168
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The Sheepfarmer's Daughter reminds me of the novels of earlier eras when authors would take their time developing the characters and plots. Perhaps the fault--if fault there be--lies in our modern expectation of instant gratification in all things. For better or worse, our current pace of living has apparently caused us to lose patience with anything that takes time to fully develop.

What do you think?
I don't think an "it was better in the old days" explanation is enough, and I don't think it covers my case. One thing I enjoy about "Lord of the Rings" (an obvious example) is the slow pace, and in general I find that a book does not necessarily have to be fast paced for me to enjoy - I even find I enjoy a slow pace more and more, so I can enjoy the prose and the multiple layers in it. In this case, I find the prose flat, bland and boring, and honestly only suited to bring the story forward. And when the story is developed as slowly as it is, and with fairly flat characters, too, I've found very little in it to enjoy. It's not "bad", just "meh".
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote