View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 01:38 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by readingaloud View Post
Why is it that you specify that only PRC-format books can be shared here?

For reasons I've stated elsewhere, I think iLiad books in the Mobipocket format are exceptionally ugly, and I avoid them. Now, I don't want to dispute matters of taste, but I don't see why those of us who occasionally spend time producing a good-looking text is some other format shouldn't also share with other iLiad owners.

I format my public domain books in InDesign, and output them as PDFs. I don't know how one produces PRCs (or whether it's even possible on a Mac), but from what I've seen there's relatively little control over the design of the page. I know that PRCs can reflow with different text sizes, but that's a feature I'm willing to do without if it means that I can't make the text look good at any size.

Here's the first chapter of Arnold Bennett's "The Grand Babylon Hotel" as an example. It might not be to all tastes, but I don't see what it would hurt if I posted books in this format, which presumably all iLiad owners can read, and some will prefer.
Remember, MobiPocket is NOT just for the iLiad. It runs under Windows,on the forthcoming Cybook Gen3, PDAs, cell phones, etc. So a MobiPocket formatted file is good for more people then just iLiad owners. You PDF that you've formatted does look nice, but for the Cybook Gen3 or Sony Reader, it's not going to look so nice. Sometimes you do have to think of the greater good. And the greater good says that MobiPocket format is best overall for use with MobiPocket readers.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote