View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 01:12 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfaerie24 View Post
If I click Series, then Author it will look like this:
Fire, Kristen Cashore, The Seven Kingdoms [2]
Bitterblue, Kristen Cashore, The Seven Kingdoms [3]
Graceling, Kristen Cashore, The Seven Kingdoms [1]

Instead of sorting 1, 2, 3 it goes 2, 3, 1. I've been into the metadata over and over again trying to make sure I didn't include an extra space somewhere or that I spelled everything exactly the same, or some other error like that, but have not been able to find anything.
One problem at a time.

First, you are doing it correctly and it should sort exactly as you expect. When you click on Series does the Series goes 1, 2, 3? Click on the series column and verify that the series is in proper order, it looks like you may have clicked on the column twice and actually have ascending series number.

If the Series order is correct then your problem is in the author sort area.

Either your first item in the list above:

Fire, Kristen Cashore, The Seven Kingdoms [2]

has an author sort different then the other two or the second two items may have multiple authors which will mess with author sorting within series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You are telling it to do conflicting (multiple) sorts.
I won't respond to the rest of your post because I can't make heads or tails out of it. Maybe I'm confused, but I don't think so.

She is telling it to do a simple multi-column sort. This kind of sort is why we have tweaks that allow how many sort levels there are or the default method we wish to sort in. What she describes above should work.

I sort by Title, then Series and finally Author which places all books by a given author in series order and any books by the author not in a series are in title order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
If you want to sort on series, then you need to click on series last.
If the series has multiple authors then the only way to get a series in order is to click on series last. But if the series has only a single author then what she is doing is fine.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-17-2013 at 01:27 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote