View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
My only quibble with this is that there are millions of e-ink Kindles still in use, and most of those early adopters don't show any signs of intending to get rid of them.
This may sound mean, but, IMHO, that's their problem since they're by now outnumbered by KF8 enabled devices and apps, and unlike several years ago, new entry level Kindles and used older models are relatively affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I wouldn't dismiss the e-inks out of hand, not at all.
I didn't dismiss e-ink devices at all, after all I own one.

However, when it comes to Kindles, fallback styles for embedded fonts or CSS3 styles are usually not required for the simple reason that Kindlegen will simply ignore them when it generates the Mobi7 part of the master .mobi file. This means that owners of older devices might miss out on some fancy formatting, but their "reading experience" won't be negatively affected.

I.e., fallback styles are usually only required for large tables, some images and multiple hard-coded <span> styles applied to single words or paragraphs, e.g. drop caps.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote