Thread: HD3 dev
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2020, 08:42 AM   #1
random42
random42 began at the beginning.

Device: PB HD3 (632), Kindle Paperwhite
HD3 dev

Hi, searched around fairly comprehensively and could not find the info I was looking for. Apologies if my searching was subpar. Have gone through the thread "PB6xx/7xx/8xx: root + sshd..." associated source code and walked the dependency tree on GitHub.

Looking for some info about PB HD3 wrt development:
  • what's CPU and architecture , ARM-7 ?
  • is there a particular version of Linux that it runs ? I've seen mention of busybox being installed on top of it which is cool, but would love to get more *nix services like crontab (esp if it could wake up the device).
  • what/why are the compiler flags what they are? Reverse engineering what I see in various repos is not leading to much understanding on my part.
  • most SDKs that I see reference to contain compiled binaries for the compilers themselves, do we know what was used to bootstrap those?
  • are there resources I am missing that could help me understand such things?
  • Am I correct in that QT is the UI framework that these devices use?
  • have I chosen the wrong device?

I'm interested in developing some applications for the device, ideally by cross compiling in a language that is a little nicer (personal opinion) to use like Rust or Go.

If I'm successful, would be happy to put together a how-to guide on GitHub.

> About me

I'm a professional software developer of over 15 years and I consider myself pretty good. At this point my experience is much higher in the stack: C#, Java, Groovy, Python, Ruby, Javascript, GoLang, Rust, Bash. CS degree was heavy on C/C++ but it was a lifetime ago. I have only dabbled in embedded development with things like Particle IoT and rPI.
random42 is offline   Reply With Quote