View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #40
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
WT:

It seems to me that, on the highest level, the same people tend to help out from year to year. Therefore if they weren't honored in 2012 or 2013, they'd be a cinch for 2014. The best thing about honoring specific things -- software and firmware specifically -- would be that they couldn't be manipulated like Karma, which is more often a token of agreement or amusement than actual help.

I can see that ebook uploading could be a sticking point. In craft and choice of texts, some of the most prolific uploaders remind me of the natural world -- Nature's horrible fecundity untempered by taste or restraint -- while the sparest uploaders often give us the best and most diligent work. Each of those two groups -- fecund vs. painstaking and foonts in-between -- would have its factions. Indeed, there are many justifications that can be made for filling out the library as a goal (props to the fecund).

The possibilities for competitiveness and bitterness might be too great in that area, but not so, I think, for those who gave us the likes of calibre, sigil, PRS+, and jailbreaking options for the Kindle (which continue even now in the wake of Amazon's severest lockdown), and have offered support so thorough it's a travesty no one's getting paid.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 12-08-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote