View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #552
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Yes, I know that. But can you substantiate your contention that a main reason the Google app store is growing far far faster than the Apple store is due primarily to "a massively larger hobby coder population" as you put it?
I never said it was the main reason, please don't put words in my mouth.
Do you think there are more or less hobby developers on iOS or Android?
From an earlier stat, the proportion of free apps to paid on the Google store is 2:1 vs 1:2 on the Apple store.

Quote:
Fine, but do you know you also have to pay fees to Google to put apps on their store?
a) You don't have to pay a fee to develop the app in the first place
b) You don't have to buy a different computer just to develop on (if you don't already own a reasonably recent Mac)
c) You don't have to distribute the app through the Google store
d) Is there actually a fixed fee to distrubute an app? Rather than a percentage of cost, which would of course be zero for free apps.

Quote:
Aren't Linux and GNU essentially large collaborative projects that evolved over time? I don't know how you can compare those projects with how a developer goes about deciding he'd like to write an app for an app store.
Linux started off as a single guy writing code.

Quote:
As for Calibre, it exists because of the goodness of Kovid Goyal!
A single cuy writing code. (Actually a couple of guys now)

Quote:
OK but then it involves more investment of development time and effort. More commitment. So the point remains the same.
Laughs.
So when you adamental insisted that more apps meant more developers, and now you agree that it doesnt, the point remains the same?