View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I'll be honest -the "reader freedom" idea holds no interest to me personally. I don't want to read on my phone, any more than I want to read on my tablet (unless it is a PDF/magazine in which case I will *only* read it on my tablet). Each device has a purpose and its strengths. If I want to read, I take my Kindle. If I am in doubt about an opportunity to read, I take my Kindle. If I know I definitely won't have an opportunity to read - I probably still take my Kindle. The phone gets left behind more than my Kindle! The tablets for me are big fragile toys - nice for a bit of casual web browsing, magazine reading or streaming TV/video, but not for serious ebook reading with the issues of screen glare, battery life, comfort, etc. So for me personally there is never a desire to be reading the same book on a different device.

Anyways, back on topic. If your concern is not having a PC on all the time, why not get a small device that you can run Content Server on so you do leave it turned on? It doesn't have to be expensive - I presume you could even use a Raspberry Pi for this purpose if you want something super cheap. It won't solve the transcoding problem (since content server is read-only, won't do conversions on the fly) but it would give an awful lot nicer UI and be far more accessible than Dropbox (which is blocked by many places as a security risk).
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote