View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #33
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl;1693193
I did a little research of Dickens's biography last year when I read the fiction novel [I
Drood[/I] by Dan Simmons. Drood is about the last 5 years of Dickens's life after the Staplehurst rail crash and up to his death while writing The Mystery of Edwin Drood as told through the eyes of his friend / colleague Wilkie Collins. This book relates how he had a terrible marriage to Caroline and how important his sister-in-law was to the management of his household and the raising of his many children.
That's very interesting. Have you by any chance read the biography Charles Dickens by Una Pope-Hennessy? It's not all that recent, being published in 1945 by Chatto & Windus with a paperback edition in 1970 by Penguin. One of the things that really impressed me was Pope-Hennessy's analysis of the unravelling of Dickens' marriage and the part played in it by Georgina.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote