View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008, 08:57 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstoddard61 View Post
I started having the freeze problem today, and here is what I found out after troubleshooting for awhile.

1. Whoever makes this thing has managed to put an extremely slow processor in the device. I have to be sure to give kindle time to do all the background things it needs to do -- sorting, indexing etc. I suspect some of the freezing has to do with my not giving the processor time to work.

2. The RAM must be very limited. I went wild downloading stuff from Gutenberg.org. I just had too much stuff on the kindle. I removed most of it, and the kindle started working again.

3. The USB plug on the kindle is loose. I finally got the USB working again by sticking the plug part way in, not all the way.

4. I have a 4 GB memory chip in it, and I don't think that was causing the freezes. I think I just downloaded too much text for the limited resources on the device.
It's not a hardware problem. The Kindle has a 400Mhz CPU; that's more than my first 3 computers combined.

The problem is in the software. There is an upper limit on the number of files you can load on to the Kindle (around 6,000).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote