View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #7
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
It could be my eyes, but I have trouble with the busyness of sans serif fonts. Serifs make it so much more comfortable to read. But I was shocked in the comparisons that Times New Roman was not a great font on there. I liked New Century Schoolbook much better for example.

As expected I dispised Avantgarde, Helvetica, Latin Modern. They seemed weak and hard to focus on. For me, I felt like I was reading online.

Serif fonts are more common for printed pages, and I like the Reader e-books to feel like printed pages not computer screen pages.

Hopefully that places a loud voice on the other side of the fence also. It's a big deal for me. But I also am very aware that until I have read several books in a font on a particular device, it is quite possible that my feelings could change. First impressions of fonts can be very misleading.
I agree that serif fonts are much more book like. I get the same feeling with texts lacking hyphenation or proper justification too: it feels like a screen, not a book.

But at the same time, most of these readers don't render serif fonts as nicely as they should.

There's some good points on both sides: but everyone's a winner on this one, if you don't like the font of the template, you're a few clicks away from "custom settings" where you can set the font that you like the best.

Last edited by Hadrien; 05-15-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote