View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I also have the original Droid and agree with most of what TallMomof2 says. The only thing I would modify is using the night setting. It depends on the ambient light whether I use night or day settings. With little or no ambient light, the night setting is definitely better & I even reduce the brightness.

Also never tried to use Calibre with it since it's so easy to just transfer the files via USB draq & drop.

There does seem to be only a subset of the Kindle capabilities with the Android App but they are not too different.

Battery, compared to an e-ink device, is definitely much worse. I would only get a few hours reading before having to recharge but as an alternate device for occasional reading it's great, especially since you can sync your books with your Kindle and/or Kindle for PC.

I read a lot & therefore I get eye strain from any reading device (even reading paper products - really especially with paper since I can't adjust the font size). The Droid is no worse for me than my e-ink reader. The screen size is a trade off. With the Kindle you won't have to change the page as often but the Kindle doesn't fit into your pocket very well. Having the two sync(able) devices allows you to read the Kindle when you know you'll be in one place for a while & the Droid is "always" with you for those spare moments of reading - e.g. waiting in lines, waiting for your dining partner to show up, etc.

So bottom line is I think the two (Droid & Kindle) work well as partners.

BTW, I rarely use my Kindle 1 for general reading. I prefer my Astak EZ Reader with Open Inkpot firmware. I like the controls better and that I am not restricted to just (basically) a single format when buying ebooks. However I'm glad to have the Kindle. I use it when I am proof reading scanned books because I can highlight the line where there are OCR errors instead of just bookmarking the page.

Last edited by slayda; 09-10-2010 at 12:58 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote