View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Like Dmaul said, the market for eInk may dry up anyway since people already seem to have trouble understanding what's great about it and why it can be worth the extra money.
Like I said in the other thread, I think e-ink (or some equivalent) will stick around in dedicated devices for the avid reader niche.

And I don't think it's just that people in the mainstream don't understand the benefits (though that's part of it). The bigger issue is they simply don't read often enough to even think of buying a dedicated reader. If you're seldom reading more than an hour a day, then the eye strain and battery life benefits are pretty moot. And if you're only reading a few books a year, then buying a dedicated reader is a waste of money vs. just hitting the books store or library.

So the real key, as I've said many times, to getting ebooks more mainstream is getting them into multifunction devices that such casual readers buy mainly for other purposes like net surfing, video watching etc. etc.

But I don't think that will kill of e-ink (or comparable) screens as there will always be money to be made off the avid reader niche who needs something that's easy on the eyes and has super long battery life.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote