View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
hermes
non-techy
hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Location: wherever I can afford to get laid and eat vegetarian
Device: Sony pocket edition and Kobo touch both died - looking at Kindles
Learning curve, or is that boomarang, continues...

'Get Books' function is straightforward looking. But while they are fast and easy to download from sites, and I am able to find where I have designated to put them, it is not possible to click and drag them into my device. It does work the second time (to list instead of icon) when I attempt to do same to Calibre library though. And the Sony software keeps trying to get involved. It even opened my copy of Dostoyevsky's Crime & Punishment (from a non-Sony site) as the default on my computer. How intrusive when I am trying to learn Calibre!

Hmm, it appears, based on my experience that one must do it in two steps (no big deal) move from offering site to Calibre, then from Calibre to device. One required a conversion which it did quickly. I 'dismount' (no horses involved, just click and drag to trash) the 'volume' (ugh, white box symbol for the device) and let' see if I can read my brand-new-to-me ebooks for zero dollars and zero cents!

Book can be read. Everything looks normal, can turn pages. Can double-click to use dictionary function. Can highlight, can scribble. The only difference I notice is that one of the books is a wee bit problematic highlighting. It just won't do one letter close to edge. No big deal.

99% Wonderful. Free and relatively easy so far.

Last edited by hermes; 06-01-2011 at 07:09 AM.
hermes is offline   Reply With Quote