View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
The check/cheque is in the mail

I just signed up with Amazon and realised yet another glitch in dealing with them from outside their specific countries of presence: they can only pay me by check (which I presume becomes a cheque by the time it reaches me here in Australia ).

Now I don't doubt Amazon, but it's been a long time since anyone told the that the cheque was in the mail. My mind automatically comes up with questions like: What if they send it by sea? What if it gets lost in the post? Just how long might such a mix-up take to resolve?

I guess that, realistically, I am probably not talking about amounts that I'm likely to miss very much. But, still, it's not really something I was expecting.

So let's summarise the situation: For sales in my own country they're going to give me 35%; they're going to withhold 30% of all royalties (unless I get an ITIN, and then it's only 5%); they're going to hold onto the result for up to 90 days (60 days from end of month of sale); they're going to pop the result in the post and cross their fingers. And when I get that cheque it looks like my bank is going to charge me $15 to deposit it!

Obviously this is not all Amazon's fault, but it's quite frustrating from where I'm sitting.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote