View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008, 05:05 AM   #36
Roberts324
Mad translator
Roberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enough

Device: eBookwise 1150 reader, Samsung E60 reader, SAMSUNG N150 netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you look in the list of find what and replace what, you will see initially uni characters were used. I've stopped using uni characters as I'm not sure which ones nobody wants to ever use.
I am not sure either, but being French I would say that in roman, german and scandinavian languages at least the following characters are used:

All accented letters such as à, é, è , ë, ê, î, ï, ô, ü (german umlaut), û, etc.
oe (called "e dans l'o) as in oeuf, oeuvre, etc.
ñ (spanish "nina"
ç French cédille

Also, typographic rules in French (not sure whether they follow these rules in Italy or Spain) say that the english quotes (as in "quote") should be replaced by the opening and closing angle brackets or "guillemets", with a non-breaking space between the bracket and the word, in order to avoid widow/orphan words (both the brackets and the word should be on the next line if there is not room enough for them on a given line).

I am not sure that replacing english quotes by guillemets is at all possible using BD...

Robert
Roberts324 is offline   Reply With Quote