View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 07:02 AM   #1
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Using author_sort, title_sort names

While creating a list of Calibre columns to show to users to allow customization, all the regular ones (authors, series, tags, ...) have names associated with them in field_metadata.py (Author(s), Series, Tags... But 'author_sort' doesn't.

I've noticed that 'Author Sort' doesn't appear on the list of columns you can display on the main GUI (e.g. in Preferences->Add your own columns).

"Author Sort" is used in the Edit Metadata screen for a book, so its obviously stored somewhere (though it appears to be hard coded in fetch_metadata). ('title_sort' and 'isbn' are the other fields on Edit Metadata that don't appear as column selections).

Clearly some fields are 'internal', but these 3 seemed inconsistent with the others that are displayed to the user at some point.

For my plugin, I can just ignore author_sort on the basis that it isn't a column they see in the main GUI and the user can simply create a custom column using that value if they really need it. (I can display it for them to use - but they would see 'author_sort' instead of 'Author Sort' unless I hard code the display, which I'll consider)
meme is offline   Reply With Quote