View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 04:10 AM   #26
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But with a Chromebook you don't have the choice - you can't store data locally. Everything is in the "Cloud".
Actually not true. You might not have noticed but the C7 has a 320GB hard drive. That is not just dead weight.
You can work off line with your data and with (at this time) at least some of the main Google Doc programs and other vendor programs.
You can use USB2, USB3 and the like to get to data not online.
You can use SD/MMC cards plugged into the machine.

Of the two new laptops, I personally like the Chromebook C7 by Acer which has a 320GB hard drive rather than the 16GB SSD of the Samsung S3 Chromebook.

My own plan hardware wise is to take a machine like the Acer C7 for $200 and at least double the ram to 4GB which is what Crucial says you can do, and then my only problem would be the 4 hour battery though it is removable. That makes me want to see what Lenovo will bring to the table.

If you like, the machine can be a dual boot with Ubuntu. That will have the practical effect of slowing boot times, but so what.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote