View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
bookreader1
Enthusiast
bookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
did i delete the kindle OS files?

hi,

i've got a B008 WIFI firmware 3.1, which was running kindle-jailbreak-0.6.N, kindle-nolog_0.1, and kindle-usbnetwork-0.32.N.

i recently uninstalled all the hacks, my goal was to get to a clean 3.3.

i must have gotten overzealous because in my root directory, the only directories that i see with "ls -la" are:
- audible
- documents
- music
- system

where is the /usr directory? or the /opt? aren't they supposed to be here?

i don't see another partition either, so i am very confused, because i don't understand how this device is actually booting up.

previously, i recall i previously manually edited the /usr/bin/showlog file, and i manually edited some other conf files when i enabled SSH.

but now i don't see any config files anywhere.

my problem is now updating to firmware 3.3 now gives a failure. i just want to go back to first a clean 3.1 then update to a clean 3.3.

so i am guessing i accidently lost all the important boot files?

i can't update nor go to the kindle store.

yet otherwise, the kindle works fine and reboots fine.

if i lost the files, can someone please tar up the root files from a B008 WIFI 3.1 firmware for me?

or is there a way i can extract these files from the 3.1 firmware file, so that i can then do a proper update to 3.3?

incidentally, when I successfully applied the jailbreak to 3.1 a while ago, ever since, the kindle identified itself mistakenly as a "Kindle WIFI and 3G" model, which it wasn't, it was just a WIFI model. i doubt this is relevant though...
thank you

Last edited by bookreader1; 11-08-2011 at 04:30 PM.
bookreader1 is offline   Reply With Quote