View Single Post
Old 04-09-2006, 02:42 AM   #15
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Hi,

I want to thank you for recommending the Nokia 770. I went to CompUsa on Thursday (4/6) and when I saw it, I immediately bought it. I had a problem in that the display failed after several hours (seems to be a relatively common problem this display failure in the first several days of use, once you pass the 10th or so boot, it seems that you are safe - as mentioned on a Nokia forum), but I exchanged it without hassle on Friday and it's been working great since then.

I use Sans 20, yellow text on black background, portrait, default formatting for the Fbreader and indeed it is a pleasure to read, better than print in some ways. It is a bit quirky to set up the encoding of the text (I tried several books in all the languages I read in -english, french, romanian and I managed to get an encoding that works for any book, though sometimes it is different for the same language in different books - even english language etexts who work on US ASCII in general have funny mostly russian characters if they have french quotations say - for example the latest issue of National Review that I read last night; just a pity that The Economist does not allow me to download the whole issue as a file like NR does, even though I am a print subscriber since it would be so great to read it on Nokia, far better than on my PC). Page buttons are positioned acceptably, sometimes they seem small in comparison to Ebk1150, but I got used with them.

For pdf I installed Evince and it works nicely since it does portrait, though it is somewhat slow. Also images are a pleasure to view either in the image viewer or collated in a html file in Fbreader which allows to move through them with the buttons so in full screen mode. Once I get my 1 Gb card (48$ Ebay), I will try to implement the swap and later if I get the time/energy to implement the extended file system. For pdf's the swap seems to be necessary to get acceptable speed. I can read comfortably my math books, though I will wait for the card to decide if I keep them pdf's or do them jpg's for Fbreader, it will depend how fast Evince gets once I implement the swap.

The Net works ok, a bit slow due to memory, but I need a browser that does portrait. Since I do not really care about Net surfing on the Nokia right now (in bed I use the tablet which is pretty fast), I have not checked if someone provided one in the application list at maemo.org

Once again thank you for pointing me to this great device.

Liviu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim
One (hopefully) final observation on the Nokia screen size. I gave up years ago trying to read my ebooks on my PDA (Dell Axim) as the screen size was just too small. The Nokia screen size, in my estimation, is just enough larger than that of a PDA to make the difference. I recognize that it's a fine line between a screen being too small and not too small. For me, obviously, the Nokia has crossed that line. Good luck in your quest. Jim
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote