View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 03:50 AM   #13
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I am reading Frank O'Connors stories side by side with James Joyce's Dubliners. Though I have a difficult history with James Joyces Ulysses, I must admit to being intrigued by these stories. Off topic perhaps
Spoiler:
The first three stories of the Dubliners intrigued me by the development in the life of the boy that tells them. From the first story, where there is a kind of innocence and an almost, but not quite blind faith in the order of life. Then the loss of innocence in the next, where the boy grows aware of sexuality, I think. And the last story where he feel a desire, combined with an almost more than adult resignation, but still....
I cannot help but comparing these two books: the somewhat nostalgic glow over the stories of Frank O'Connor and the unmerciful harsh light over the The Dubliners. For an even more meaningful discussion; shouldn't we combine these two writers or is this a weird idea?
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote